Re: getting back up to speed

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Yann E. MORIN wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 April 2007 1514, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > 2) is there a separate mailing list for yann morin's crosstool-ng?  or
> > does all that discussion take place here as well?
>
> There's no dedicated mailing list. I suggested all discussion took
> place here on crossgcc, as I think it is suited here, unless the
> moderators think otherwise...

good enough.

> > 3) and (with the disclaimer that i haven't looked closely yet)
> > what's the status on NPTL, so that linuxthreads can be obsoleted
> > once and for all?
>
> I'm working on it on crosstool-NG. It looks to me to be quite a
> mess, though. And with NPTL being ported to uClibc, I'd like more
> insights on this before I code anything in ct-ng.

working with the latest "svn update" of the standard crosstool, i
notice that there a single .dat file that refers to
nptl: gcc-4.1.1-glibc-2.3.5-nptl.dat.

but the contents are confusing:

BINUTILS_DIR=binutils-2.16.1
GCC_CORE_DIR=gcc-3.3.6
GCC_DIR=gcc-4.1.1
GLIBC_DIR=glibc-2.3.5
LINUX_DIR=linux-2.6.15.4
LINUX_SANITIZED_HEADER_DIR=linux-libc-headers-2.6.12.0
GLIBCTHREADS_FILENAME=glibc-linuxthreads-2.3.5
GDB_DIR=gdb-6.5
GLIBC_EXTRA_CONFIG="$GLIBC_EXTRA_CONFIG --with-tls --with-__thread  --enable-kernel=2.4.18"
GLIBC_ADDON_OPTIONS="=nptl"

  i thought the whole point of NPTL was to not *need* linuxthreads.
so why is there a reference to linuxthreads in the above?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page