Re: crosstool cleanup, again ;-)

Am 20.02.2007 um 18:29 schrieb Yann E. MORIN:

Hello!

On Tuesday 20 February 2007 163, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
I am working on the new ct-ng to make it run on MacOS X.

Good! MacOS X is a machine I can't test on. Thank you going the burden to testing it.

It now loads perfectly and the menu-config application works.

Good news. By the way, -lintl is not available on my Debian amd64 machine.
So I guess we'll have to have some machine-dependent link stage for the
configurator...

For MacOS X it was just a matter of passing -lintl and setting up the correct library search path.

/Volumes/Xtoolchain/ct-ng/scripts/crosstool.sh: line 19: set: -E:
invalid option
set: usage: set [--abefhkmnptuvxBCHP] [-o option] [arg ...]
What I have found is that the Makefile runs scripts/crosstool.sh
which begins with the line
#!/bin/bash
i.e. the script will be executed using bash.
This script includes
. "${CT_TOP_DIR}/scripts/functions"
But that file appears to be in csh syntax since it defines e.g.
     for((step=(CT_STEP_COUNT-1); step>1; step--)); do

That is valid under bash-3.0 and bash-3.1 at least. See the man page.

Ah. Nice to learn...

and uses
    set -E

Yep. I'm using bash 3.1.17 here, and '-E' is a valid option to set. From the
man bash page:
-E If set, any trap on ERR is inherited by shell functions, command
substitutions, and commands executed in a subshell environment.
The ERR trap is normally not inherited in such cases.

I don't know MacOS X. What's your bash there?

The default bash of MacOS X says:

GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release (powerpc-apple-darwin8.0)

But it is no problem to get and install a newer one (3.2.9) through MacPorts...

Well - it IS a problem.

It is installed in /opt/local/bin/bash - and therefore #!/bin/bash still calls the old one...
Maybe, I have to write some patch

Another question: Is it difficult to add Objective-C and Objective-C+ + to
the configuration flags? Would be of major help for embedded GNUstep.

Best regards,
Nikolaus