compilation programs -- Cross tools

Hi,
 I have downloaded and built cross toolchain for arm using cross tools.

I have a doubt.

My toolchain is located in /opt/crosstools/bin == contains the
compiler, linker and other tools

/opt/crosstools/arm-linux/lib contains the libraries.

How should i compile my programs.

I have included  /opt/crosstools/bin in my path and when i compile a program
arm-linux-gcc myprogram.c. and download the executable it works.

I have a doubt, how does it take the library?. Should i not specify
the library path from where it can find the libraries?.

I dont know which library it used for compilation?.

Also, i want to know what environmental variables we should set.
I have a feeling that im doing something wrong esp. the lib part.

Thanks and Regards,
Jo