Re: More ARM binutils fuckage

Thank you again Lennert, this is really helpful.  As you probably
expected, I have a few more questions.  :-)

On 12/5/06, Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@wantstofly.org> wrote:
> Do you turn on TLS and/or OABI userland compatibility in your kernel
> config?

What is TLS userland compatibility?

Sorry, ambiguous phrasing. I was asking about 1) TLS; 2) OABI userland compatibility. What I really meant to ask about TLS is whether your processor has the new CP15 "hard" TLS register (presumably only accessible from an EABI userland binary) or whether perhaps you are using "soft" TLS, which may be usable with an OABI binary and an appropriately configured NPTL glibc.

Yes, I build kernels with OABI compatibility, as I said above.

Do you happen to know whether this works properly in 2.6.16.x? 2.6.18.x? 2.6.19 with Ingo's preempt/RT patch?

> Is this toolchain built with crosstool,

Nope.  I made use of the excellent work done by the OpenEmbedded
people (and more specifically Koen Kooi) on the EABI Angstrom distro,
and from there I natively built binutils/gcc/glibc on the actual
target (so the EABI compiler and C library I use on the ARM board
were actually compiled on that same ARM board.)

Have you tried running your native toolchain under qemu? That's been a successful strategy for me in the past, especially since a lot of configure scripts don't get cross-compile quite right. I've also been accumulating a set of patches to PTXdist for cross-compiling an EABI userland, which I'll split into manageable fragments and post over there once I have actually put it through its paces on my hardware.

> Does NPTL work for you in this configuration?

Yes.

You wouldn't happen to have benchmarked a thread-intensive load on your hardware with and without NPTL, would you? I would expect the gain to be significant from not blowing MMU context on every thread switch, but I haven't seen hard numbers on ARM.

Cheers,
- Michael