RE: unrecognized option `-mcpu32'

On 18 July 2006 16:08, Mike Dorin wrote:

> I have recently upgrade my laptop...and recently
> installed cygwin.
>
> I can't seem to get a cross compiler for the 68k
> processor going, cpu32.
>
> I am trying to work with gcc-4.1.1.
> (binutils 2.17)
>
> I can get it to build.
>
> However, it seems to want to use the native assembler,
> not m68k-elf-as. See below:
>
> m68k-elf-gcc -O3 -c -mcpu32 -g -I../include
> -I../common -I../gemx/lapd -I../gemx
> /gem -I../dsp -I../gemx/q9 -I../gemx/gap -I./
> -I../gemx/lapv5 -I../gemx/v5 -I../
> gemx/phys -I../gemx/util -I../falc -DEDI_DEBUG -o
> list=ping.lst ping.c -o ping.o
>
> as: unrecognized option `-mcpu32'
> make: *** [ping.o] Error 1

  You've given us massively insufficient information about what you've
actually /done/, and what actual commands you executed, so, let's start from
the beginning:

  Did you download and unpack the binutils sources?

  Did you configure them?  Using what options?

  Did you build them?  Using what command line?

  After building the cross binutils, if you did build a cross binutils, and if
it was a cross binutils rather than any other sort, did you install them?

  If you /did/ download binutils, and you /did/ configure it, and the
configuration /was/ for a cross binutils, and you did then build /AND/ install
it, did you /then/ add the $prefix/bin dir to your $PATH?

  If you /did/ download binutils, and you /did/ configure it, and the
configuration /was/ for a cross binutils, and you did then build /AND/ install
it, /AND/ you then did correctly add the $prefix/bin dir to your $PATH, did
you then use the same prefix when you configured gcc?

   Etc etc etc ...... Saying "I done builded it and it don't work" is afwully
inadequate.  If you don't tell us what you did, we can't guess.

    cheers,
      DaveK