Re: !(fun) with tls

On 6/2/06, John Clark <jclark@metricsystems.com> wrote:
I don't know what the poster ment by 'native'. Sure a 686 can run a 586
set of code, but
definately, there are problems with compiling for a x86 target even when
the host is
a x86, but not the same type.

That's what -mcpu is for. The distinction between native and cross here is mostly a matter of GNU autotools magic; I was suggesting a Debian chroot with its natively compiled toolchain (which is intended to run on anything from about a 486 on), which doesn't mean the binaries compiled with that toolchain can't be tuned for his CPU.

If I were to use 'debian' and wanted to use gcc for the cross compiler,
I'd probably create the full
debian lib hierarchy, along with the full include hierarchy, then set up
the gcc-cross pointing
to these directories for the libraries and include files, and not use
'glibc' generated by the crosstools
setup.

These days, gcc, glibc, and kernel headers are so tightly interlocked that you are usually better off more or less syncing up the glibc source used to build your toolchain with that used to build your dynamic libraries. Look at the Debian glibc changelog for a sense of how complex it is to evolve system libraries out from under application code.

Cheers,
- Michael