RE: init hang after upgrading ARM-Linux toolchain

> Is your console pointed to a live device?  Is your inittab different
> between the two kernels, and one of them is aiming your
> console to the
> wrong serial port/device?

Thanks for the response

Right now I'm just trying to get a statically compiled "Hello world" to
print something to the console.  My root FS consists only of that (at
/sbin/init) and a statically populated /dev.

I can generate a FS image with the fake init compiled with my old
toolchain (gcc-3.4.4-glibc-2.3.5), and it works.  If I swap out that
init with one compiled with the new toolchain, changing nothing else, it
fails.  So inittab won't matter, and the console doesn't change - the
only difference between working and non-working systems is the toolchain
used to build the static [fake] init.  On the broken system, I just get:

Linux version 2.6.16 (mlcreech@joeker.software.psd.invs.com) (gcc
version 4.1.0)
 #1 Thu May 18 14:07:53 UTC 2006
CPU: ARM920Tid(wb) [41129200] revision 0 (ARMv4T)
[output identical to a working kernel]
VFS: Mounted root (squashfs filesystem) readonly.
Freeing init memory: 68K
[nothing after this point]

--
Matthew L. Creech