Re: More crosstool-0.42-glibc-2.4-gcc-4.1.0-nptl

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 05:40:53PM -0700, Michael K. Edwards wrote:
> You do have the option of building on a fast x86 (or amd64) box,
> running ARM native compiler binaries under an ARM sarge chroot using
> qemu. You should get the same results as compiling on a real ARM,
> only much faster -- and it works for software that doesn't have
> cross-compile-friendly build procedures.  See my earlier post
> regarding mkxdeb.

Hmm, I'm not really happy with that approach, it goes into the same
direction as for example scratchbox, just without real hardware. If
cross compiling is broken in tools we are using, shouldn't we fix them
instead of adding just another hack to make it work for us? IMHO we
should work towards fixing the upstream packets. That's the policy
we've followed with PTXdist for the last years.

> I haven't gotten around to doing an EABI chroot yet, but I probably
> will soon. I need to build a basic userspace and a Canadian Cross
> first, and will probably finish bringing up 2.6.16.x on my board
> before monkeying further with qemu. I'd love to use PTXdist to
> bootstrap my userspace efforts; can you hook me up with an up-to-date
> version of PTXdist that has crosstool 0.42 integrated?

Unfortunately nobody at Pengutronix has time to upgrade to 0.42 at the
moment. But that shouldn't be a problem for you: just build your
toolchain with the normal crosstool, download and install ptxdist-0.10.3
and either add the toolchain to your path or use 'ptxdist toolchain'.

Robert
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9