Re: HELP: Instructions on building MPC85xx (e500) toolchain with the latest Crosstool (0.42)

Zhuang Yuyao said the following on 05/10/2006 02:49 AM:
Khem Raj wrote:
Zhuang Yuyao wrote:
Hi,

I've searched this mail-list for instructions on building a MPC85xx (e500) cross-compiling toolchain, there are a lot of mails related to this topic but the instructions are either in-complete or contradictive. Would anyone please share your experience on how to build such a toolchain with the latest crosstool (0.42 by now)? It would be nice if someone can provide the complete build files, including powerpc-e500.dat and powerpc-e500.sh which are compatible with the latest crosstool-0.42.

http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2005-January/016398.html

Thanks for your reply, I had read this article but it's a bit outdated. I've just successfully compiled (just compiled, not tested) the 8540 toolchain *without* SPE support and now trying to make a SPE-enabled toolchain based on patches from ELDK 4.0 (http://denx.org). I've failed for several times, now the crosstool is still compiling on my debian server.

Here is a question somewhat off-topic: is SPE important to increase the performance of a MPC854X board which is used as a VPN gateway?
I dont know what kind of processing your system requires but in general SPE addon can speed up the execution speed (sometimes upto 40%)
To get a better idea you should try to benchmark SPE and non SPE toolchains once you get them building.

this might help.

The toolchain I am going to build is: binutils 2.16.1+ gcc 3.4.5 glibc 2.3.6 linux kernel 2.6.15

Thanks very much.

Best regards,

Zhuang Yuyao