Re: gcc and -fvisibility=hidden

On Sunday 30 April 2006 20:20, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 30 April 2006 08:20, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Sunday 30 April 2006 02:55, Robert Lippmann wrote:
> >> will file a bug in gentoo, to either get the flags removed, or to at
> >> least post the workaround (ie, don't distcc it).
> >
> > dont bother, we dont like this sort of cruft
> >
> > we know there are issues with forcing visibility flags into global CFLAGS
> > and we arent about to hack around it by filtering in a ton of ebuilds
>
>   Waittaminnit!  So -fvisibility works fine on gcc > 4 and fails on gcc <
> 4, on gentoo and probably other platforms, yeh?  Sounds to me like an
> autoconf feature test would be the right way to deal with this.

there's issues in general with trying to force visibility onto everything ...
sometimes it's the package, sometimes it's gcc generating code incorrectly,
etc...

i'm purposefully being vague because i dont have the exact details at my
finger tips atm

it isnt really suited to be an autoconf test as if we start trying to "handle"
everything experimental gcc flag, we're going to be wasting a lot of time ...
-mike