Login / Su / Passwd Issues

Greetings,

This isnt a crosstool specific question, but I thought that you might be the people to ask.
I've started doing a port of slackware to the jornada sh3, mostly just for fun. I've compiled all needed programs for booting a linux system, but im having one major issue.

I cannot login (doesnt accept any password, and editing /etc/passwd doesnt make any difference).
If i startup the machine using init=/bin/bash i have access to the system and can do everything aside from su, login, passwd and chown. When i try to chown a file to root:root it just gives me "cannot find user". Su just gives me "sorry". Passwd returns, cannot see your UID (when doing id, it returns uid=0, gid=0 which should be same as root).

I've found a thread where a missing libnss* gave give similiar issues, now my question is this. As it seems that its unlikely that the problem lies in the login program itself or /etc/passwd. Where should I start to look?

From what i've heard slackware doesnt use pam, could this influence
anything?..
Are there any specific glibc parameters i should consider?

Best wishes
Kristoffer