Re: crosstool-generated toolchain produces massive ELF executable

On 1/30/06, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@mindspring.com> wrote:
>   scenario:  directory full of source that creates a relatively small
> boot loader for an SH3eb system.  the final ELF executable as created
> by a downloadable toochain from kpitgnutools.com is < 128K since
> that's all of the flash that's allocated for it, so i know that that
> toolchain produces a correct output executable.
>
>   when i use a crosstool-generated toolchain, the executable turns out
> to be almost 400K in size.  that executable is created by linking all
> of the object files with the static libs libc.a and libgcc.a ...

This sounds familiar.  I think it's been discussed on this list before,
and it turned out that the extra space was debugging info, or zeroes,
or something.
What does 'size' say about your old and new executables?  e.g.
  $ size /bin/ls
  69429     880     940   71249   11651 /bin/ls
- Dan