Re: configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (long double), 77

Dan Kegel wrote:
On 1/25/06, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

On Wednesday 25 January 2006 18:34, Martin Bligh wrote:

configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (long double), 77

read the config.log file ... it'll point you in the direction of the real issue

Martin and I chatted offlist.  Turns out he's trying to build an x86_64 on
an x86_64 system that is running a 32 bit OS.  config.guess
reports x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.  Perhaps that made configure
think this wasn't a cross-build.  Replacing crosstool's config.guess with
  echo i686-pc-linux-gnu
is probably a valid workaround.   I'm trying it now on Martin's machine
(how nice to be trusted :-)

I took a *very* brief look at config.guess. Isn't it fundamentally flawed for what you want in that it's trying to work out the architecture of the running kernel, and what you want to know is the architecture of userspace?

I suppose that's kind of hard in a mixed userspace environment between 32 and 64 bit ;-( Would something like "file /usr/bin/gcc" give you a
closer approximation to what you're looking for?

M.