Re: specifying native compiler

On 1/3/06, Dave Korn <dave.korn@artimi.com> wrote:
> David Karlton wrote:
> > I have crosstool-0.38 (kegel.com/crosstool), and want to build using a
> > different gcc compiler that I have on my local machine. Many of the
> > scripts seem to default to CC=gcc.  Is there one meta-override so I
> > could specify a different native compiler?
>
>   If I understand what you're asking right, and if I remember correctly, you
> should just be able to write
>
> CC=<your_gcc_version> script.name [-options]

Nope, sorry, crosstool.sh doesn't obey that convention.
There's even a hardcoded line or two like
  CC=gcc ...
  BUILD_CC=gcc
at one point in it.

I'd say create a fake gcc script that invokes the desired compiler,
and put that on your path.   Alternately, modify crosstool.sh to uniformly
use BUILD_CC, and make it easy for users to set that; then submit the
change so others can benefit.
- Dan
p.s. Wow, a three-DK thread!