Re: Newbie questions - compiling Linux exes on Windows OS

On 1/1/06, Daniel White <twinbee40@skytopia.com> wrote:
> I somehow managed to stumble upon this mailing list
> after researching how to create unix/linux executables
>  from my Windows OS. The reasons are as follows. I want
> to recreate the simple c/cgi "multiplying" script as
> shown here:
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/cgic.html
>
> Problem is, my host uses a linux/unix based operating
> system, and my compiler (Mingw) will only compile
> windows exes on my windows OS. I have questions :)
>
> 1: Am I right in saying Mingw is just the windows
> version of the unix GCC compiler?

Yes.

> 2: I found the file "mingw32-linux-x86-glibc-2.3.tar.gz"
> at the following page:
> http://www.libsdl.org/extras/win32/cross/README.txt
> Is this what I need to help me compile linux exes?

No.  That solves the opposite problem: compiling Windows
executables on a Linux system!

> 5: If I were to use perl instead of C/C++, would I need
> to compile then? (I doubt it). In which case, how much
> faster is using C/C++ over perl in terms of latency and
> raw CPU power?

Right, with perl you wouldn't need to compile.

Perl, php, or python are all good choices for cgi scripts.
Because CGI itself is horribly inefficient, the language
you use probably won't be the bottleneck.

> 6: Anything else I need to know?

If you still want to use C, it's best to use the compiler
installed on the host!  Use ssh to log in remotely and
compile there.

If you want to use C and build on your Windows system,
you have to line up your ducks very, very carefully.
You have to know exactly what OS, what C and C++ libraries, and
what kernel are in use on the host.
The steps that follow would depend on those pieces of
information, so come back here after you've gathered
them.  And worst yet, to gather them, you pretty much
have to ssh into the host, at which point you may
as well just his its C compiler anyway...

Who's your hosting provider, anyway?
- Dan