Re: debug-problem with cygwin-linux-cross

On 12/9/05, Wedde, Thomas <thomas.wedde@hfwk.de> wrote:
> > You shouldn't need to do that... what happens if you don't?
>
> Okay, I try to explain that.
> After compilation, there are two include paths in the result path:
>
> (1)
> C:\cygwin\opt\crosstool\gcc-3.3.3-glibc-2.3.2\i386-unknown-linux-gnu\include
>
> (2)
> C:\cygwin\opt\crosstool\gcc-3.3.3-glibc-2.3.2\i386-unknown-linux-gnu\i386-unknown-linux-gnu\include

Yes, this is normal.

> And (1) is nearly empty, except of other paths:
> (1)\c++\3.3.3\i386-unknown-linux-gnu\bits
> (1)\c++\3.3.3\bits
> (1)\c++\3.3.3\backward
> (1)\c++\3.3.3\ext
> Each of them contain a few headers, for example (1)\c++\3.3.3\ contain
> iostream

This is normal.

> So if I want to include C++ Standard headers, such as iostream, I have
> to put all the files in these paths in the same /include directory,

No, you don't.  gcc knows about both directories.

> For me there is a understanding problem why the result path structure is
> so fragmented.
> In (2)/../bin there are my binaries of the result toolchain
> (i386-unknown-linux-gnu-g++.exe) and
> In (1)/../bin there are also binaries, but with the old tools (gcc.exe)

This is normal.  The binaries are identical.  You should
probably ignore the directory with the short names, and
use the one with the long names, but that's just a matter of taste.

> Do you know what is going wrong here ?

Yes, you're looking too hard for order.   Embrace disorder :-)

> I already had this problem under linux during remote-debugging the
> target and solved it by using exactly that gdb 6.0 instead of gdb 6.1. -
> so I tried to compile it for cygwin and I think there must be a
> connection between my cross-compiled gdb and this error (of course it is
> ;) but maybe youre right and I should post this to the gdb-mailingslist)

You're not being very clear here.  How did you compile gdb-6.0?
Perhaps you didn't compile it correctly for cross-debugging.

> One thing last: while browsing through the web I always got links to the
> CrossGCC-FAQ (also in singnatures of this mailinglist) but I never find
> them - because all I got is a redirection to billgatliff.com, but there
> are no FAQs on this site.... (there is nothing about cross-gcc on this
> site).. or am I just blind.. !?

Bill used to have some FAQs there.  Guess he removed them
when he converted to Drupal.
(Bill, could you at least add a link to crosstool?)
- Dan

--
Why won't Johnny run Linux?  See http://kegel.com/linux/comfort