Re: GCC-4.0.2 on Cygwin

Bleh ... this will teach me to post at midnight!

--build is where you're running the configury/build process. That's self-evident and defaults to the sane value.

--host is where you want the language processor to *run*. If you don't specify it, it will equal --build.

--target is the architecture for which you want the language processor to *emit* code.

When --host == --build != --target, you'll build a normal cross compiler.
When --host != --build != --target, you'll have a Canadian Cross.

Gotta lay off the cough syrup and catch some sleep :-)

Ciao,
--Jim--

Jim Tison wrote:

Brian,

Don't feel bad. You aren't the first to confuse --target & --host. When they're equal, you have a normal cross-compiler, which seems to be what you want. When unequal, you're building a Canadian Cross.

--Jim--

Brian Dessent wrote:

Brian Rose wrote:

OK here is where I get all confused. I am building a gcc in order to use
that gcc to build m68k-elf programs. So when I am building the gcc, my
target *should* be i686-pc-cygwin, correct? Because this gcc that I am
building will *run* on my Cygwin PC.

No, you want --target to be m68k-elf for both gcc and binutils. --target is the machine for which the output of the tool is meant to be
run. --host is the machine on which the tool itself will run. If your
'as' is targeted at i686-pc-cygwin then that's not going to work.

Once you've built and installed binutils, you should have a
'm68k-elf-as' in the path and the gcc configure should find and use it. You can override this with --with-as I think.

Brian

------
Want more information? See the CrossGCC FAQ, http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/

Want more information? See the CrossGCC FAQ, http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/