Re: Is a target glibc really needed to build full crossgcc?

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 14:10 +0200, Henrik Bechmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When you build a cross compiler toolchain, you have to build glibc berfore
> you can build the full gcc.
This is not quite correct.

You don't have to _build_ it, you have to _have_ it!

I.e. instead of building glibc as part of building a cross toolchain, it
is way easier to extract the target library binaries + headers from a
target binary package and to install them to appropriate locations, in
advance to building GCC (cf. --sys-root, --sys-* configure script
options in GCC).

Of cause this only works if binaries of the target libraries are
available somewhere. This applies to many Linux targets, where you often
can use the libraries being shipped with distributions.

>  But is the cross glibc libraries actually needed to
> build the full crossgcc,
Yes, GCC's configure scripts can try to link against the library when
building other libraries as part of building GCC.

Ralf