Re: current progress for SH3 and newest components

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Dan Kegel wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   at the moment, i have a build cranking along for regular SH3 with
> >
> > 	gcc=4.0.1
> > 	glibc=2.3.5
> > 	binutils=2.16.1
> > 	linux-libc-headers=2.6.11.2
> >
> > no actual kernel involved.  if it actually builds, i'll submit the
> > appropriate config files for inclusion in ct-0.39.
>
> Fine.
>
> In future, though, you might want to pay a bit more attention
> to advice from oldtimers (I assume Dave's an oldtimer :-)
> before blowing it off.
>
> 1. next time you have a problem, be sure to post at least
>    the first couple lines of the error

fair enough.  in my defense, i was aware that, as i said, stuff that
used to build with gcc-3.x.x doesn't necessarily build with gcc-4 so i
wanted to check quickly if anyone would pipe up and say, "yeah, that
happened to us, too."

> 3. Even if you yourself are not building the kernel for
>    production, not being able to build the kernel is a good
>    sign of toolchain trouble, so much so that it's worth
>    fixing the little problems that come up.

oh, i understand that, too.  i just want to tackle the problems one at
a time.  i know from experience that some kernels had questionable
constructs in them that the newer compilers would choke on.

> 4. Telling somebody to switch to decaf when they've given
>    you good advice is probably a bit much.

granted.  but, for future reference, telling me to take advice from
eric raymond is probably an unhealthy thing to do at the best of
times. :-)

rday