Re: previous working build for SH3 now fails

Dan Kegel wrote:

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

without getting into gruesome detail, i grabbed crosstool-0.38 and
did a "demo-sh3.sh" build, which failed and i'm guessing it's because
i'm doing this on a fully-updated FC4 box running gcc-4.0.1.

i'm guessing it's because gcc-4 is a much less forgiving compiler
when it comes to questionable programming constructs and i'm wondering
how many previously working combinations aren't going to work anymore
under gcc-4. (it's well known how lots of compiles that used to work
everywhere don't under gcc-4.)

or perhaps this is something entirely different. i can post the
actual errors if someone wants to peruse them.

It seems likely that gcc-4 is too new to build some older
toolchains. You might need to tell crosstool to use
a different CC. I've done this before, it's not too bad;
ideally you just set the CC and AR environment variables
to the compiler you want to build crosstool with.

Thats true. e.g. I could not build gcc 3.3.1 on my Fc4 box using GCC 4.0. they also provide gcc 3.2 in FC4 distro
so if you use CC=/usr/bin/gcc32 it should invoke gcc 3.2 to build your compiler which should build fine.

I could build gcc 3.4 with GCC 4.0 without any problems.

Same for binutils. You might find some problems building 2.15 using GCC 4.0. 2.16 works fine.

If that doesn't do it, go ahead and post some of the errors...
- Dan