Executable/Toolchain/Loading questions

Hello,

1) If I build a test.o, and try to convert it to flat binary by:

arm-elf-ld test.o -o test.bin -Ttext 0x8000 -e main --oformat binary -N,

it complains for specifying an output format for an arm-elf able ld.
it makes sense for me since the name is "arm-elf"-ld. But then what ld
should I have to do this?

2) The fields in a tool configuration are cpu, os, manufacturer, and
kernel. So elf is specified as part of cpu field perhaps? Why do I
need to have an object-format-specific toolchain compiled? Can't I
produce many formats with one toolchain?

3) If I want specific code (e.g. an interrupt handler) to be at a
specific address, apart from my executable; two options come to my
mind:

a) To copy the handler code from within the flat binary to its
appropriate place
b) If I have an elf-capable bootloader, produce my executable as an
elf, and specify my handler code to be loaded at the appropriate
address, my application code in its usual load address, and simply
load it. (assuming supervisor privileges in both)

Now are these both possible, and which one is more reasonable to do?
I hope I didn't bother with such newbie questions.

Many thanks,
Bahadir