Re: [WAY OT]: need a windows-based PPC cross-compiler

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Alex Holland wrote:

PS: The GCC cross tools build instructions from Redhat that I posted
are about 4 years old. I have not tried them recently, but they
should still work. However, there likely more up to date
instructions elsewhere. I remember www.billgatliff.com as a good
site to start learning about using GCC for cross development.

actually, i used crosstool-0.31, picked the "ppc 860" demo script, and
let it go.  a couple hours later, i had a toolchain under cygwin that
compiled my (2.4.22) kernel source tree.  haven't tested that it (the
kernel) actually works yet, but the fact that the chain built and the
kernel compiled gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Glad to hear the toolchain came up easily for you. Good luck with the kernel.

BTW there are known issues building the kernel on cygwin
and other case-insensitive systems:
1. .s and .S source file suffices mean different things; .S needs preprocessing, .s doesn't.
   This is fixable, but might be a bit painful.
2. netfilter has files named foo_BLAH.h and foo_blah.h that represent
   different states in their state machines.
   See https://lists.netfilter.org/pipermail/netfilter-devel/2004-October/017145.html
   They refuse to change this.
   If you use netfilter in your kernel, you will run into trouble
   with cygwin as a dev environment.

I hear that Microsoft's Services for Unix can be installed in
such a way that it offers case-sensitive filenames.
SFU is a competitor to cygwin (and in fact is now offered
as a zero-cost download, thanks to that competition).
Haven't tried crosstool on it yet, though.
It's at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/
if you want to be a guinea pig.

(It may have an old c compiler, in which case you may need
to build your own gcc-3.2.3 before you can build
anything recent with crosstool.)
- Dan