Re: problem with compiling for sh3eb

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Arno Schuring wrote:

> >   reading what arno wrote above and his reference to "SYSROOT", it
> > seems that all i need to do is replace the normally
> > downloaded/patched/configured kernel source tree with the subset (in
> > exactly the same place) of the sanitized headers.
> >
> >   in my case, the output shows me that
> >
> > SYSROOT=/home/rpjday/build/crosstool/sh3eb-unknown-linux-gnu/
> >  gcc-4.1-20050327-glibc-20050402/sh3eb-unknown-linux-gnu
>
> This is probably the crosstool build path, though I'm not sure. I'll
> explain below.

no, it's the result/prefix path, *very* badly named.  my apologies,
i'm renaming it now. :-P

> Yes, you're right, the headers replace the entire download/patch
> kernel step. Using the same approach crosstool does, you should
> unpack the headers in that very same dir.

and, i assume, tweaked to add the "asm" symlink to the appropriate
directory (in my case, "asm-sh"), right?  effectively emulating what a
normal config would do to all those files.

> Crosstool does the following (from the linux kernel source dir):
>
> mkdir -p $HEADERDIR
> cp -r include/linux $HEADERDIR
> cp -r include/asm-${ARCH} $HEADERDIR/asm
> cp -r include/asm-generic $HEADERDIR/asm-generic
> (the asm-generic is not provided by the sanitized headers, apparently it's
> unneeded)
>
> That same thing is what you should do when you have unpacked the sanitized
> headers. Pick out the correct asm-$ARCH dir and copy into $HEADERDIR (which is
> conveniently defined by crosstool).

ah, so this last step can be done after the entire crosstool build has
completed, then?  ok, that sounds simple enough.

is there any value to adding a crosstool option to support all this?
like "--use-sanitized-headers=..." or something?

rday