Re: Problem building with 2.6 kernel headers

Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Tuesday 22 March 2005 07:00 pm, Dan Kegel wrote:

It's possible I've been doing it in the wrong order since
day 1.  Guess I'll try installing the kernel headers afterwards
and see what breaks.

ive never looked at how crosstool works (i just look when i need patches sometimes :D), but the way i've implemented it at Gentoo is:
- emerge cross binutils
- emerge cross gcc (C-only, static, most features disabled, etc...)
- emerge linux-headers
- emerge cross libc (uclibc/glibc)
- emerge cross gcc (C/C++, all the fun stuff turned on)

with 2.6 headers, you need to execute `make prepare` to get all the good files/symlinks/etc... created for you, and that requires a cross gcc :(

Here's the problem case:

gcc-3.4.x requires glibc headers to be installed
glibc-2.3.x's configure requires kernel headers to be installed.
linux-2.6.x's "make prepare" requires gcc to be installed

It's a circular dependency.  Moving to the sanitized kernel
headers (http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/linux-libc-headers/)
may be the only real fix.  The README for that says it
is intended for kernel 2.6.x and glibc 2.3.3 and up, though,
so there might be some problems using it with 2.4 and older
glibc's, who knows.
- Dan