RE: cross compiler cygwin -> ppc-lynx

> I am trying to build a compiler as stated. I am using gcc 4.0 sources.
> I am using gcc 3.3.3 as build-compiler. I managed to build
> binutils without problems.
>
> This is part of my environment:
> TARGET=ppc-lynx-lynx
>
> Ran configure:
> No problems, but java, fortran and libstd3++ is unsupported on target.
>
> There! I am lost. Do I have to build runtimes and libs?? I
> took that from my target, so shouldn'tit be OK??

Erlo,

I don't have much experience in this so my answers may not be correct, but since
you haven't had much response, it may help! Please bear with my explanation ...

I had problems building powerpc-ibm-eabi for 3.4.3 : libstc++v3 failed with
unsupported target. After much digging I extracted the following from its
configure script:

--------------

if test "x${with_newlib}" = "xyes"; then
    # do some config
else
    # Base decisions on target environment.
    case "${host}" in
      *-darwin*)
          # do lots of config
          ;;
      *djgpp)
          # etc.
      *-freebsd*)
      *-hpux*)
      *-linux* | *-uclinux* | *-gnu* | *-kfreebsd*-gnu | *-knetbsd*-gnu)
      *-mingw32*)
      *-netbsd*)
      *-qnx6.1* | *-qnx6.2*)
      *-solaris*)
      *-tpf)
      *-vxworks)
      *-windiss*)
      *)
        {
            {
                echo "$as_me:$LINENO: error: No support for this host/target
combination." >&5
                echo "$as_me: error: No support for this host/target
combination." >&2;
            }
            {
                (exit 1);
                exit 1;
            };
        }
    esac
fi

--------------

What this tells us is that unless you are using a target which matches those
case statements, you will have to specify --with-newlib, even if you aren't
using newlib. Otherwise libstdc++ will fail during configuration.

It may well be that the other parts you were having trouble with are similar.

You will probably need to configure gcc with --with-headers to point it at YOUR
OS/Lib headers, to make it think that it is looking at newlib. I am not sure of
this last bit but maybe someone else can confim/correct me? Its worth a try any
way!

HTH.

--
Matthew JONES