Re: OT: embedded hardware

sorry for the (sligthly?) OT, but probably some of you could help me:

What hardware would you recommend for first experiments with embedded systems ?
I'm looking for some cheap hardware which has some kind of low-rate
but robust serial interfaces (preferably 2-wire) and some interface for attaching a power switch. I'd like to use these units for controlling little things lamps, heating, coffee machine, etc.

Of course it would be really nice if I could code in C or even Java on this machine and use a crosstool-built GNU-toolchain for compiling :)
You could take a look at:
http://www.dave-tech.it/pages/product-ppchameleon.htm

We use it to do just that - both using RS485 and GPIO-ports. It supports Linux and crosstool build against the PPC405-chip with both C, C++, and Java.

.02$ Martin