Re: Using crosstool-0.27

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Daniel Kegel wrote:

> Tim Connors wrote:
> > As per the request in the crosstool-howto, here is a note stating that
> > I've successfully used crosstool to create an arm cross toolchain.
> >
> > I'm sure this has been done many times.  I wouldn't have posted
> > here except that, in my case, I also built with the java frontend.
> > I'd like to report that java works in addition to c and c++.
>
> Excellent!  Ever since reading that recent essay about the future of Gnome,
> I've been meaning to add gcj support to crosstool, thanks for the
> nudge.

I agree! The following information may be useful for someone tackling the
issue.

A while ago, I also played around a bit with the gcj frontend (based on
3.2.3 gcc). What I found is this:

- gcj generating native code seems to work nicely on PPC and ARM. I just
  assume that it works on x86 just as nice.

- The gij stuff interpreting byte code does not compile cross (there even
  was some comment in the Makefiles telling to fix things).

Ideally, as i understand it, gcj is supposed to run native code and byte
code. The class loader shuld be able to (transparently) load and link native
and byte code as well.

Hope this helps,
Marius

--
Marius Groeger <mgroeger@sysgo.com>           Project Manager
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software