Re: Building crossgcc rpms (as non-root)

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Bill Gatliff wrote:

> I took a stab at this late last year, I just posted my RPMs here:
>
> http://billgatliff.com/twiki/bin/view/Crossgcc/ToolSetupRPMS
>
> The RPMs build fine, but the installed toolchain doesn't work---
> apparently there's a disconnect somewhere in the search paths.  I had to
> drop the project to put out other fires, and never got back to it.
>
> Perhaps the posted RPMs will help.  They would build as non-root.

OK, I'll have a look.

> I took the approach of producing a bootstrapgcc RPM, which would be used
> by an RPM maintainer but wouldn't produce an RPM that normal users would
> need.

That would solve the problem of bundling gcc source with *libc src.rpm,
and the need to build the bootstrap compiler every time you built a new
libc.

So I see you took the approach of building and installing the library
before the compiler proper. If I've understood correctly, you should
supplement:

BuildPreReq: %{_target}-binutils

with

BuildPreReq: newlib

in the gcc spec file because you won't be able to build gcc without newlib
being first installed.

Did you have a reason for having "Name: newlib" rather than "Name: %{_target}-newlib"?

Thanks

--
Charlie

A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.