From: "Dan Kegel" <dank@kegel.com>
To: "Arno Schuring" <aelschuring@xs4all.nl>
Cc: <crossgcc@sources.redhat.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 12:23 AM
Subject: Re: missing crt1.o

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Why, of course there is!  crosstool.sh is an existence proof.
> I know you want to build things yourself, but have you
> at least tried running crosstool just to verify it can build
> a toolchain?  If it does, then you can figure out what's wrong
> with your script by comparison.
Hmm... should've figured that one out by myself. For your stats:
crosstool.sh just finished building a chain binutils-2.14 gcc-3.3.3
glibc-2.3.2 on my box (i586->sparc), without any patches (except for
sscanf.c). Have not run any tests yet though. If I encounter weird test
results, I'll let you know.

> And, actually, it'd be helpful if you'd
> create a reproducable test case by taking those commands you
> pasted, putting them in a shell script, and actually running
> it from scratch in a clean directory to verify it reproduces
> the problem.  Once you have that, it's a lot easier for us to
> reproduce the problem and see what you're missing.
That's nice. I will start myself with comparing my steps against your script
again, to find out what I did wrong. I'll ask again if I can't figure it out
on my own.

> That's fine.  (And that was my goal when writing crosstool.)
> By the way, if you haven't already, be sure to check out the
> tux@embeddedtux.org mailing list; it's like this one, but
> strongly prefers the do-it-all-from-scratch approach you're following.
> - Dan
You are too kind! Thanks for the pointer.