Re: Building und/libiberty for powerpc-eabi cross compiler fails due to linker error

On 6 Feb 2004 at 15:43, Kai Ruottu wrote:

> On 3 Feb 2004 at 13:41, Hermann-Simon Lichte wrote:
>
> > I am trying to build a powerpc-eabi cross compiler on an i686-pc-cygwin
> > host. I followed Bill Gatliff's tutorial, however, building the complete
> > cross compiler fails.
> >
> > I am using binutils-2.14, gcc-3.3.2 and newlib-1.11.0. Compiling
> > binutils, the bootstrap gcc, and newlib isn't a problem.
> >
> > When compiling the complete gcc, 'make all' fails because the compiler
> > does not know what target it should generate executables for.
>
>  Is somewhere any evidence that the usual way of building newlib-
> based GCCs doesn't produce working libraries with the generic
> newlib headers?

 I checked this thing and there weren't any difference between the
results produced using the generic newlib headers and using the
PPC specific headers (got after installing newlib).  So it seems
that there isn't any reason to build a newlib based GCC in two
stages in the powerpc-eabi case, the first build stage will be
enough and working.  The ARM-based targets are others having
some target specific headers, so checking the 'arm/xscale-elf'
too could be reasonable.

 Generally I haven't any need to start from scratch, but checking
if all this bullshitism : a stripped GCC first, newlib then and
the complete GCC last, really has any kind of sanity in it with the
newlib-based GCCs, maybe should be done now and then.  I
remember problems being present in the gcc-3.0, and maybe
still in gcc-3.1, but nobody seems to have checked whether the
old build rules now work again with the gcc-3.2 and gcc-3.3...
My conclusion is that only the generic newlib headers taken from
the newlib sources are the prerequisites for a newlib-based GCC
build from scratch.

 After the first newlib build and install also the target specific
headers are in their places for the next GCC build/update, so
all the later builds will happen with the proper target headers.
This is what I meaned with the "I haven't any need to start
from scratch"...  The newbies must, but it should help a lot
when the build method used in the first build is just the same
as used when updating...