Purpose of startup files for ARM

Hi folks,

Does anyone know what the standard startup files, excluded by using the command
-nostartfiles, are expected to do and if they are necessary?

The reason I ask is that I have a chip with no ANGEL, or similar monitor, on
board, and the startup routines included by GCC by default includes SWI calls
with codes which suggest a monitor is used.

Thanks in advance,
Dave Mc Kenna

--
http://www.iol.ie