Re: Building for custom 68k or ColdFire board without OS?

On 2003/09/10 at 01:50 Toralf Lund wrote:

I'm looking for a new way to build the software running on a custom I/O board we are producing, which is based on the MC68010. The board has no separate OS; our software calls some very simple routines built into the "Bug ROM" on the unit, but is otherwise fully self-contained. The software is traditionally compiled and linked on another 68k-based board running the OS-9 operating system. Some more details:

[Lots of stuff snipped]

I ported code written for OS-9 K&R compiler first to CrossCode (Added ANSI prototypes etc.)
and then recently to gcc.

Good to hear that someone else has done the same thing. Some questions related to this:

  1. Was any assembler involved?
  2. How do you handle the output files? I need to find out how to
     change my loader to support COFF or ELF instead of OS-9 module
     format...
  3. Are you using the ColdFire processor? Would you recommend it?

I would strongly recommend that you get the patched version that
supports the __interrupt__ attribute.

What exactly are its benefits?

There are gcc 2.95.3 with these patches floating around as well as gcc 3.0.something. I think the
person who added these patches are trying to have them incorporated into the main branch with
version 3.4.

Another question is what compiler version to use. I'm currently trying 2.95.3, but have also downloaded 3.3.something...

Below are the instructions for getting the patched 3.0 version from CVS. AFAICR the I below stands
for Peter Baradas.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

**** Instructions to get m68k patched gcc sources ****