Re: Building for custom 68k or ColdFire board without OS?

We use the development environment you are proposing and it works extremely well.
I built a cross tool-chain that supports the m68k family and ColdFire (I built it on Intel/Linux, Sparc/Solaris and HPUX hosts) and used that to compile newlib (http://sources.redhat.com/newlib/). Newlib has separate C and math libs.
I wrote some low-level routines (in C) that newlib calls to do serial port i/o to the UART and voila we had printf, getchar, scanf etc on a TTY console.
I then extended the serial i/o driver to use interupts and buffer characters and this provides a sort of background i/o capability for diagnostic menus on the TTY console.

The only thing is, it's not packaged up with an idiots guide that requires no previous knowledge. You should expect to understand the workings of the toolset and how to generate ROMs etc.

HTH

--
Mark Powell, Senior Software Engineer, Primagraphics Limited
New Cambridge House, Litlington, nr.Royston, Herts, SG8 0SS, UK

Toralf Lund wrote:

I'm looking for a new way to build the software running on a custom I/O board we are producing, which is based on the MC68010.

What I want to do is to set up a build system under Linux (Red Hat 9 ix86) for the software. Also, we are about to design a new generation of the board, which will be based on a 683xx or ColdFire processor, and I need the build environment to support that, too.

Would CrossGCC be suitable for this task? What would it take to get it up and running? To what extent would the code need to be ported to suit the new compiler? (That one might be hard to answer. I'll provide some example code later if necessary.) Is ColdFire supported at all?

- Toralf

------
Want more information? See the CrossGCC FAQ, http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/