Re: arm-elf-gcc : change default data alignement depending on ARM/THUMB

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 10:24:13PM +0200, Vincent Rubiolo wrote:

> I did not do tests with 2.95.x but the proceedings of the gcc
> summit about optimising for space seem to draw the same
> conclusions as your do : 3.x is better than 2.95.x (doc here :
> www.linux.org.uk/~ajh/gcc/ gccsummit-2003-proceedings.pdf, very
> interesting but for pure ARM code only) I am not too familiar
> about eCos. Is interworking enabled in it?

Not in the configuration I use.

> This is because I think the problem might come from here.

> I will try to tweak
> newlib to build it with -fdata-sections and -ffunction-sections. It should then
> give good results.

The build configuration for eCos uses -fxxxx-sections and then
garbage-collection of sections by ld, and it works well.  If a
function isn't called by anybody, it isn't included in the
final image -- even if other functions in the same object file
are required.

No more worrying about whether you should put each library
function in a seperate source file (which violates
encapsulation by requiring a lot of things be global when they
should be statically scoped), or group them "logically" into
fewer, larger files in order to provide encapsulation and
data-hiding (which used to pull in un-needed functions).

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com