RE: Cross Compiler target=i386-elf

Hi,

>I was trying to build a cross compiler for the target i386-elf and the
>host is Solaris 7
>I built the binutils, then bootstrap gcc (--target=i386-elf
>--without-headers --with-newlib), then newlib, then back to the gcc
>when trying to build the full gcc, it gave me some errors
>
>------ snip----------------------
>checking for ANSI C header files... no
>checking for uintptr_t... no
>checking for pid_t... yes
>checking whether the C compiler (
>/export/home/users/aragab/programs/build/cygnus/build-gcc/gcc/xgcc
>-B/export/home/users/aragab/programs/build/cygnus/build-gcc/gcc/
>-B/net/panda/export/home/users/aragab/programs/build/cygnus/gnu/i386-elf/bi
n/

>-B/net/panda/export/home/users/aragab/programs/build/cygnus/gnu/i386-elf/li
b/

>-isystem
>/net/panda/export/home/users/aragab/programs/build/cygnus/gnu/i386-elf/incl
ude

>-O2 -g -O2 ) works... no
>configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
>cannot create executables.
>gmake: *** [configure-target-libiberty] Error 1
>
>------end snip-------------------
>
>the config.log file is attached, it tells me that many header files was
>missing, and the crt0.o is not found.
>I think the problem is in the crt0.o file.
>
>It didn't complete the build and installation
>
>I looked here and there, and found that the crt0.o is not located for
>the target i386-elf, but there's one for cygmon, any way
>I want to complete the build process.

which version of gcc are you using ?,.. 2.95.x is quite diffrent to 3.x

The problem being exposed here is that the 2.95.x i586-elf crosscompiler
doesn't come with a default build target, the way that other versions of gcc
do. By selecting -myellowknife, you tell gcc to use the yellowknife target's
linker script during the build. This doesn't affect anything in the end,
because the step that fails is merely testing that the compiler works by
building a simple test program. Without the -m, the compiler won't have a
linker script, so it won't be able to link the test application. Ergo, the
configure script will think that the toolchain is broken.

regards,

---
Matthew J Fletcher
Serck Controls Ltd
Embedded/Firmware/Development

mfletcher@serck-controls.co.uk
Phone (UK Direct) 02476 515089
---

Serck Controls Ltd, Rowley Drive, Coventry, CV3 4FH, UK
Tel: 44 (0) 24 7630 5050   Fax: 44 (0) 24 7630 2437
Web: www.serck-controls.com  Admin: post@serck-controls.co.uk
the above.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of Serck Controls Ltd.
Please note that Serck Controls Ltd is able to, and reserves the right
to, monitor e-mail communications passing through its network.
be responsible for damage caused by any undetected virus.
Serck Controls Ltd is a subsidiary of Serck Controls Pty. Ltd.
Registered in England No. 4353634.