RE: New targets to Binutils for H8 series

Hi Kazu,

> > Good idea, but I think also will be good, mark 26xx subtarget as
> > new bfd-target too.
>
> I am basically for having a subtarget for each combination of
> instruction set and mode.  However, if we have .h2600 or something,
> then we should probably have "upward compatibility" thing built into
> the linker so that we can mix H8S/2600 code with H8S or H8/300H.

I don't think it will be a big problem, cause we told about
change numeration of bfd-subtargets, so why not take such numbers,
wich will be "upward compatible" (simly set high bit, I think)?

> This way, we don't have to have separate libgcc.a and lib[mc].a, etc, for
> H8S/2600 because the difference of instruction sets between H8S and
> H8S/200 is only mac-related instructions.

At present you are right, but:
1) what about using MAC in lib[mc], in future releases of newlib?
2) what about interrupt frames in library routines?

Regards,
Andrey