Stuff for the FAQ?

Hi,
     I have tried using the pre-compiled m68k-rtems-elf compiler found at:

ftp://ftp.oarcorp.com/pub/rtems/releases/4.5.1-previews/c_tools/

Thanks to Aaron Grier for that.
However, there are a few problems with it that might be relevant to this
list.
When I STFW (searched the flaming web) I discovered this was down to CR/LF
translation problems.
This suggests to me that the compiler isn't being built in the right way for
use on windows.  I couldn't
find an answer to that one.  I've converted the answers I did find into
suggestions for the FAQ or LFAQ.
I suspect someone here may have more complete answers though.
			Regards,
				 Bruce A.

Q)  When using a cross compiler on windows I get the following error.  What
does this mean?

     stray '\' in program.

A) This is to do with CR/LF problems.
    Cygwin contains programs d2u & u2d to translate between DOS and UNIX
formats.
    Running d2u on all your source should solve the problem.

[I don't think this is really an option as the majority of windows editors
etc. are going to write
 files out in windows format rather than unix. I think the compiler is
broken :-(]

Q)  What does the following error message mean?

    for reading.open
    : No such file or directory

A) The assembler is being passed a bad file name

If you run the assembler with a filename of a nonexistent file: nofile, the
error output is as follows:

$ /usr/local/arm-elf/bin/as.exe nofile
Assembler messages:
Error: Can't open nofile for reading.
nofile: No such file or directory

Now if you look at where 'nofile' is listed in the error message:

Error: Can't open nofile for reading.

Replace it with a CR that starts the rest of the text at the beginning of
the line, and you get:

 for reading.open

Then eliminating nofile in the No such file message gives:

Assembler messages:
 for reading.open
: No such file or directory

Which is exactly what's coming out of the assembler when its involked by
gcc.

The solution is to strip any blank lines from the end of the gcc specs file
(located in gcc-lib)
and run d2u on it to make sure that it is in UNIX format rather than DOS
format.
[ This again suggests there was an issue with the building of gcc ]

 Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not
 necessarily those of Tyco Electronic Product Group.

 Any prices for the supply of goods or services are only valid if supported
 by a formal written quotation.

 This e-mail and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
 forwarded copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted
 from Tyco Electronic Product Group are confidential and solely for the use
 of the intended recipient.

 If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
 delivery to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
 e-mail in error and that any use is strictly prohibited.  In this event,
 please notify us via e-mail at 'helpdesk.tepg@tycoint.com' or telephone on
 0121 255 6499 and then delete the e-mail and any copies of it.