Re: Cross compile error question: i686 to powerpc--linux-gnu

Yves Rutschle wrote:

> If you try to build a powerpc-linux, yes you're going too
> far, you probably want a powerpc-elf or something like that.
> If you don't build anything further than the bootstrap
> compiler, don't expect any standard library call to work.

Well, first off...kudos to everyone for the feedback.  It's helping get the
picture in my head.

And, ok, here's the problem...if I follow the faq's out there, I have no problem
until I get to the final step of recompiling the bootstrap compiler with the
compiled libraries.  Wouldn't this work:

a) build a bootstrap compiler,
b) then build whatever library support with said compiler,
c) and THEN manually compile and link whatever external stuff I need (other than
barebones C support, which was done in step b), would there be a problem?

The black box I don't understand here is the aforementioned "helper functions"
that we've been talking about.  If I want GCC to just be dumb and act as a
compiler, can I circumvent this third step of recompiling the bootstrap compiler?

And as far as the simplicity of being able to just say
$ gcc hello.c

Isn't that almost NEVER done in a real development situation anyways?  Whenever
I set up make and Makefile, I'm usually passing arguments of -c and -o to gcc.
So, am I jumping through all of these hoops to let gcc provide features that I'm
not going to use?  Is there some easy way to tell gcc when I build it that
I don't want all of the collect2 nonsense to be built?

Or is this all seeming the problem of the linker as opposed to the compiler?

Joe Sislow
Cosmodog, Ltd.
joe@cosmodog.com