Re: Multi-architecture installation

Joel:

Thanks for the pointer to the rtems RPM files. They are great examples
of how to build GCC packages.
> ftp://ftp.oarcorp.com/pub/rtems/snapshots/c_tools/gcc2.95.2newlib1.8.2-11/linux_x86/SRPMS/mips-rtems-gcc-newlib-gcc2.95.2newlib1.8.2-11.nosrc.rpm

People in the Aeroflex colorado location have figured out how to keep
the cross-compiler headers and libraries from conflicting w/ a host
gcc and still have the xgcc installed in /usr/local.

Here are the parameters need to be added to the configure line when
building gcc.

> ../src/configure --prefix=/usr/local --includedir=/usr/local/gcc-2.95.2/include --libdir=/usr/local/gcc-2.95.2/lib --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --target=mips4el-elf --with-newlib --enable-languages=c

The first 3 parameters are the important ones in the above example.
The 2nd and 3rd parameters force the xgcc build to place its headers
and libraries in directories other than /usr/local/lib and
/usr/local/include.

The aeroflex approach (that this works with) has been to link binutils
into a single source tree along w/ gcc and newlib. If you are building
binutils separately, it might be necessary to include the 2nd and 3rd
parameters on the binutils configure line as well. If you guys are
interested, here is our latest specfile:
ftp://ftp.aeroflex.com/pub/ecard/aero-xgcc-1.1.0-4.spec

All this is not necessary if the host gcc is a default build of 2.95
or later. In previous versions, gcc looks in /usr/local/include and
/usr/local/lib before looking in the equivalent /usr directories.
Prior to adding the 2nd and 3rd configure parameters, The host old
host gcc would find the xgcc newlib and binutils libraries and headers
before it's own. This crippled the host gcc.

Does this info belong in the xgcc FAQ? I didn't see it there.

By the way, I still haven't found an authoritative list of all the
options that can be supplied to configure when building gcc. If
someone knows where I can find that info, I'd appreciate hearing about
it.

-Bill