Re: Please help get me started...

Philip Blundell wrote:

> >these with gcc-2.95.3... The gcc-3.0 prerelease has the 'arm-uclinux'
> >somehow supported but no clue about the availability of the 'mno-got'
> >option...
>
> I don't think GCC 3.0 supports this option at the moment.  Vadim did send a
> patch a year or so ago, but it wasn't acceptable as it stood and I don't think
> he ever found the time to revise it.

 I tried the gcc-2.95.3 sources for arm-uclinux target and Linux host on Saturday
evening and for Win32/Mingw-host this morning. The gcc-2.95.3 sources seemed to
miss also the :

----------------------------- clip ---------------------------------------------
-msingle-pic-base
   Treat the register used for PIC addressing as read-only, rather than loading
   it in the prologue for each function.  The run-time system is responsible for
   initialising this register with an appropriate value before execution begins.

-mpic-register=<reg>
   Specify the register to be used for PIC addressing.  The default is R10.
----------------------------- clip ---------------------------------------------

options the EDK-sources already had (from summer-1999 !). Anyway the patches for
gcc-2.95.3 and the two new files are attached in a 'tar.gz' ('.tgz') packet here.
Unfortunately the patch to the 'gcc/invoke.texi', adding the previous options to
the docs is missing, although I fixed it too...

 The Vadim's patches (from late-1999 - early-2000) assume these previous patches
from Philip Blundell to be already installed.

 While the patches in 'www.uclinux.org' are broken, these could serve as an
alternative. For 'non-hackers' using Linux, the alternative method could be to
download some prebuilt 'arm-uclinux' tools for Linux, e.g. via:

  http://aplionet.aplio.fr/uclinux/uclinux-arm.htm

and consider producing the self-made tools only afterwards, applying the collected
know-how and the already-patched sources, not trying the unpatched sources first,
from scratch and using Windows as the build environment...

Cheers, Kai

uC-patch.tgz