Re: fembedded-cxx

Jens-Christian Lache wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I want to use the -fembedded-cxx with my arm-elf-g++ compiler,
> but it doesn´t recognize this switch.

 But my arm-elf-g++ recognizes it, perhaps we have used different
sources... Please tell the version of your sources first, then I
will tell mine... Without mentioning which version of GCC you are
trying, it is hard to tell why it is missing.

 A clue is of course where you found this option existing. The GCC
your docs now describe having this option surely has it... At least
the GCC manual for my 'arm-elf' GCC-version clearly says:

-fembedded-cxx
  In compliance with the Embedded C++ specification, make the use
  of templates, exception handling, multiple inheritance, or RTTI
  illegal.  Attempts to use namespaces are also not allowed.  This
  makes the use of these keywords result in warnings by default:
  template, typename, catch, throw, try, using, namespace,
  dynamic_cast, static_cast, reinterpret_cast, const_cast, and
  typeid.  To make the warnings for these things be given as errors,
  add the -pedantic-errors flag.

and this option isn't available in the gcc-2.95.[23], gcc-2.97
snapshots or in some older FSF releases, but is available in the
freely available GCC-release from Spring-2000 I used... (From RedHat,
as the 'sources.redhat.com' in the name of this maillist clearly
says). More clue words would be the "Embedded", "Development" and
"Toolkit"...

Cheers, Kai

PS. I found you perhaps using still gcc-2.95.2, it surely hasn't
this C++ option, but the RedHat EDK sources have
   ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/edk/

Perhaps you can find a newer GNUPro release for 'arm-elf', prebuilt
for Linux (and Win32) at:
   ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/gnupro/
and save the rebuild pain for a while...