GCC Cross-compile to MIPS target (any SO)

Hello all

I'm trying to build gcc to target MIPS processors on a i386-Linux box. The processor has no
operating system, so the toolchain I need will end in an absolute binary image with the opcodes
(in intel-hex or motorola-S-records) using objcopy.

I've already read the docs, and the how-to you can find at http://www.village.org/villagers/imp/build.html.
I'm using current snapshot of gcc from CVS (2.97 i think) and binutils 2.10.1

The params in configure are --target=mipsel-linuxelf --prefix=/gcc-mipsel
The binutils part goes fine. The problem arises when compiling gcc, and i think is because of the libraries.

I've tried installing libc-960619-2.tar.gz and glibc-960501.tar.gz on /gcc-mipsel, and got this message from
the make-fragment libgcc.mk (trying to resolve "./libgcc_s.so" target:
"/gcc-mipsel/mipsel-linuxelf/bin/ld: cannot find libc.so.1
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [libgcc_s.so] Error 1"

The file libc.so.1 does not appear in the libc / glibc distribution. It should?
Nevertheless I've tried copying libc.so to libc.so.1 and the error message is the same.

Then I've modified the ligcc.mk make to insert "Wl,-L /gcc-mipsel/lib", in the hope to pass the linker
a library search directory where I'm sure the file can be found (I've made the copy there!), without success.

Any hints?

Thanks everyone
	Francisco Rodriguez