Building problems

Hi, I've only just joined this list, partly from desperation, but I'm
having problems building an i686 hosted, sparc target gcc.

I've downloaded:

+ binutils 2.9.1
+ gcc 2.95.2
+ glibc 2.1.3 (including the extra add-ons)

I'm using sparc-unknown-linux-gnu as the target.

I've tried building the packages separately, and with binutils and gcc
together. binutils seems to build fine in either case, but gcc always
falls over. I've enclosed logs of both output & error, (sorry, don't know
how to do both). I haven't touched glibc at all yet as I don't know what
parts of the tree to symlink in, (the faq only covers newlib).

The configure script for gcc gets called with:

./configure --prefix=/usr/sparc-unknown-linux-gnu \
--target=sparc-unknown-linux-gnu --enable-shared --enable-haifa \
--with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --enable-threads --enable-cpp \
--with-headers=/mnt/include/ --with-libs=/mnt/lib1

The libs and headers are from RedHat 6.0 for sparc which I exported via
nfs.

Any help greatly appreciated

Matt
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
make[2]: *** No targets.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [../libiberty/libiberty.a] Error 2
make: *** [all-target-libstdc++] Error 2

output.log