Help with cross-linker

I am trying to set up a cross-compiler that will run on
a sparcstation running solaris 2.7 that will generate
executables for a Pentium III PC running Hard Hat Linux.

I built binutils and gcc with a private $prefix and with
target specified as 'i586-linux'. Before building the
binutils and gcc, I copied libraries and include files
from the target environment to $prefix/i586-linux/lib and
$prefix/i586-linux/include respectively.

When I try to cross-compile using the resulting binaries,
the cross-linker complains about not finding libraries in
/lib or /usr/lib etc. I have tried setting environment variables
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LIBRARY_PATH as well as specifying a -L
option on the command line pointing to $prefix/i586-linux/lib.
But the cross-linker still complains about not finding the
files in /lib, /usr/lib etc.

The cross-compiler itself seems to work fine in the sense that
if I copy the .o file to the target environment and link it
there, the resulting executable runs ok.

Ajit Sanzgiri