Re: About using GDB with target ARM simulator

First of all, thank you for your help.

> "Lim, Sung-taek" wrote:
> >
> > I've built crossgcc for target arm-linux and gdb for target arm-elf. (couldn't match
> > the two targets for some reasons but i thought it wouldn't matter. I couldn't find
> > any difference between them. Is there any difference?)
>
>  The arm-elf is for embedded ARM with perhaps no opsys. Although the use for arm-linux
> may be 'embedded', it really is a 'system' target...
I know what you mean. Then what am I gonna do to know the details?

> > I tried a simple example for debugging with gdb target as simulator and gdb ignores
> > the breakpoints as follows.
Actually I found that gdb didn't ignore breakpoints. The execution  just exited at the
breakpoint and printing  a local  variable showed a intermediate value which had been
computed until that time.

>  It is quite unclear (for me too) what is the board/monitor-environment the arm-simulator,
> which is included with GDB, really simulates. But surely it isn't Linux/ARM.
Do you mean that the difference between system environment makes gdb abnormally? Then
probably I should look at the internals of gdb breakpoint mechanism and find the system-
dependent part. Can anyone teach me already 'working' arm cross compilers and gdb set
whatever detailed system they suppose?

>  Building a "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=arm-linux-gnu" from the current GDB
> snapshots could succeed. Expecting the target being supported in gdb-4.18.1 (almost
> one year old) may be vain.
I retried and succeeded to build gdb for target arm-linux but the problem is the same.