Re: Error: CC not set to working compiler

Kai,

I wonder if you can help.

I've been having a lot of trouble building GCC 2.95.2, in order to use it for ECOS. I have two
Mandrake 7.1 systems, and two FreeBSD 4.0 systems, It seems like it does something different each
time I build it. I first had it working on one FreeBSD system, but not the other three. They all
got the infamous "Too many input files" error from cpp. The FAQ says that is because I moved the
main directory from the place where it was built (I did not).

I have noticed that it builds two versions of cpp, one it places in H-xxx-yyy/bin, and the other
in H-xxx-yyy/lib/gcc-lib/arm-elf/2.95.2. When it works, the main program arm-elf-gcc invokes the
second cpp with a full pathname. When it doesn't work it just invokes 'cpp', which resolves to the
first one. I've tried copying the good one to the bin directory, or symlinking to it, but then it
can't find the include directories.

I can't determine how it decides which one to build. I have started with a fresh download and it
builds a bad version. Then I clear everything off and do it again with the exact same configure
and make commands, and it builds one that works.

Any ideas? Maybe a later version? If so, which one is a good one?

Thanks for any help,
Greg Shubin

P.S. I tried your "--enable-targets=arm-aout' suggestion and it worked.