Re: Problems in building gcc on linux

RakeshN <rakeshn@kpit.com> wrote:

> I am building gcc on linux 6.1 .
>
> My configuration command is ----
>
> configure --target=h8300-hms --host=i386-coff-go32 --build=sun4 --prefix=/b/dosbin
>
> My target is hitachi h8/300 processor for MS-DOS.
>
> [...]
>
> make[1]: i386-coff-go32-ar: Command not found

What you are doing is called a Canadian cross. Since your compiler is going to
be hosted on a system (MS-DOS) other than the one you are building it on
(Linux), you must build it on your Linux box with a Linux x MS-DOS cross-
compiler. I.e., you must first build that and then use it to build your MS-DOS
x H8/300 compiler. Building a cross-compiler with a cross-compiler is called
Canadian cross. You must also build a Linux x H8/300 cross-compiler before you
build your MS-DOS x H8/300 cross-compiler, because building the latter will
need it to build target libraries. This is all explained very well in Ian Lance
Taylor's "The GNU configure and build system", see:

http://www.airs.com/ian/configure/

> 1] There is a makefile in each and every directory. Should i make them all individually?

No, you just run make in the top level build directory and it will
automatically descend into every subdirectory.

--
Michael Sokolov		Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent	International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)