Re: Document / Script for automating cross-compiler build

Thanks for the script. I have used an earlier version of the script you
posted and
was eventually, with just a few minor hiccups able to compiler for
m68k-coff. I
will be trying m68k-elf soon.

I am using latest cygwin net release 1.1.4 on Win98SE (Celeron 533). The
first
problem I had was that my user name was "David Williams". The space in
the name
seemed to cause a lot of problems. I changed it to just "Dave" and it
worked much
better. The first time I attempted to compile I had the build directory
outside of
the root directory for cygwin, ie somewhere else in the windows
directory
structure and I got problems building binutils and then GCC. The next
time I tried
it I put the build directory inside my home directory and this seemed to
work ok.
It took about 3 hours to compile the lot. I am not sure if I had fixed
my user
name when trying to build the first time.

A couple of questions

The compiler that is built seems to not output line terminators in the
verbose
output (as it use to). I end up with very long lines of verbose (-v)
information
from the compiler. I have been using V6 of David Fiddes coldfire
binaries (ECGS
1.1.2) and the output of verbose information in that was fine. Where
should I
start looking?

Why should I prefer elf to coff for an m68k embedded target?

I was examining your script to determine what things it does so that I
can build
individual pieces of the system as required. More specifically I think I
will need
to modify some functions in newlib and was wondering how that was built.
I could
not see any specific commands that built newlib so I assume that the
--with-newlib
option when building GCC also causes newlib to be built. Can you confirm
this? How
would I just build newlib?

Dave.