sh-elf behavior

I have built a sh-elf cross-compiler with the
 following:
 egcs-20000626
 binutils-2.10
 newlib-1.8.2

 I also have access to the Cygnus GnuPro-99r1
 sh-elf cross compiler.

 Now I seem to have two problems ...

 - With the following piece of code, gnupro
 compiler gives no errors, but the egcs compiler
 gave the 'strcmp function implicitly declared' error and
 aborted.

 void f()
 {
 int n;
 n=strcmp("s","a");
 }

 Gnupro compiler seem to include the C header files
 implicitly whereas the egcs compiler doesn't. If i
 add the "#include <string.h>" the error goes away.
 However I need to work with a large source base built
 for gnupro compiler and hence the problem.

 - second problem is that the gnupro compiler is including
 the c library eventhough the following options are
 specified for the linker:

 -nostartfiles -nodefaultlibs -nostdlib

 I didn't specify -nostdinc to preprocessor because the
 source base needs standard header files but not the
 standard libraries.

 How can I control these two behaviors ?

 thanks
 sathish