Object equivalence using gcc on different hosts ??

Schnell Daniel writes:
 > I've got a question concerning gcc as a cross-compiler for the same
 > TARGET platform but compiling on different HOST-platforms. (2 gcc's !)
 >
 > In this special case the first platform is a NT- Host and the second is
 > a SOLARIS-Host. One can assume that the system headers are
 > equivalent for both host platforms (but maybe CR <--> CR/LF
 > difference).
 >
 > 1.)
 > ===
 > If the version of gcc is the same on both host platforms,

and assembler and linker

 > does it produce the same output (binary-equivalent) on
 > different host platforms if you always use the same source and
 > header files and do NOT turn on debugging informations ??
 >
 > - a.) If not, where and what are the differences ??

No differences come to mind.
Debugging information is kept separate (of course) so
for example any rom images should be bit for bit identical.
(assuming you're not putting the .stabs section into rom :-).

 > 2.)
 > ===
 > If you turn on debugging information with '-g', the output will be
 > different because of different source file paths. That's clear.
 >
 > But:
 > - a.) what is the result when debugging a target image with a different
 > host environment than the one compiled ??

If both hosts were Unix flavors I'd say there's no problem
(you'd have to remember to tell gdb where the sources are
if the directories are different).
Dunno if I've ever tried debugging a program on Unix that was
built on NT (or vice versa).  Dunno if Unix gdb would trip over
NT path names.